Professionals from many medical and allied health fields will participate in the evaluation process to diagnose your child. These professionals are often referred to as the Interdisciplinary Evaluation Team. Following the assessment and as part of developing an Individualized Service Plan (ISP), individuals could be referred to different types of specialists.  These professionals will link your child with important resources through its Special Child Health Services program. The most common professionals working with individuals with FASD, as well as their area of expertise, are summarized in the following table.

If children are younger than three years of age, the CEC may also refer them to the New Jersey Early Intervention System. (See Early Intervention Section on Page 14). If your children are school age(3-21 years), they may be referred to your school district’s Child Study Team (see School Years Section Page 15).




The obstetrician/midwife’s role is to screen a pregnant woman for high risk conditions and behaviors, including alcohol intake. Education, interventions, and referrals may become part of treatment to promote optimal health to a developing fetus.


A primary care physician that provides a medical home for the child. In addition to preventive care, a pediatric medical home coordinates care among all of the specialists that are involved in a child’s care, maintaining records and following up on all referrals.


A medical doctor who can diagnose FASD or ND-PAE as well as other illnesses and treat the mental health issues associated with FASD.

A psychiatrist can prescribe medication or other treatments to treat issues such as depression and anxiety, aggression, ADD/ADHD, obsessive-compulsive behavior, tic disorders, and more.


A medical doctor who can diagnose FASD and other neurological disorders. A neurologist also checks the neurological functioning of the body and may order tests such as MRIs or EEGs.

A neurologist can prescribe medication or other treatments to treat issues such as depression and anxiety, aggression, ADD/ADHD, obsessive- compulsive behavior, tic disorders, seizure disorders, and more.

Developmental Pediatrician

A medical doctor who is a pediatrician with special training and certification in developmental-behavioral pediatrics.

A developmental pediatrician is skilled in diagnosis of FASD and developmental disorders .This doctor looks at the whole child and can recommend treatments, including medication.

Psychologist (1)

A licensed psychologist with specialized training in developmental disorders, such as a clinical psychologist or neuropsychologist.

A psychologist or neuropsychologist can diagnose or recommend treatment for FASD and other developmental disorders. He or she may address coping skills, behavior management, social skills, and strategies for improving functioning.

Behavior Analyst

A credentialed professional who has specific training and expertise in the analysis and treatment of behaviors.

Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP)

A therapist that specializes in understanding and use of language, and the pronunciation of speech sounds. A speech-language pathologist may address understanding and use of words, grammar, social skills, reading comprehension, and written language. Speech therapists also support social speech skills. The therapist may recommend a referral to Dental or Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) specialists for evaluation of oral or hearing issues.

Occupational Therapist (OT)

A therapist who specializes in assessing and treating fine motor skills, play and social skills, handwriting, sensory integration, and daily living skills such as dressing and feeding.

Child Study Team

A team of professionals that include a school psychologist, learning disabilities teacher consultant, school social worker, and at times, a speech language pathologist who are a resource for parents when they have education-related concerns and will evaluate a child to determine eligibility for special education services. Parent advocacy skills are essential here.

Special Educator

A highly qualified teacher of students age 3 through 21 who is licensed by the State of New Jersey to work with students who have a wide range of learning, intellectual, emotional and/or physical disabilities. Special Educators adapt instruction and assessments to meet the individual needs of students as well as provide instruction on state standards. Services must be provided in the least restrictive environment which may be the general education classroom, resource classroom, special class, special school, at home or hospital and community depending on the needs of the student.

General Educator

An educator who provides instruction and educational supports to a student within the general education environment.

Physical Therapist (PT)

A therapist who specializes in assessing and treating gross motor skills (jumping, ball skills, using stairs), strength, and coordination.